How to include the superfood Raw Cacao in your diet!
Raw cacao powder is definitely one of my go to superfoods! Because…
- Its one of the best sources of antioxidants that help defend the body against free radicals, protect the heart, slow ageing and basically just create a glowing healthy body
- Contains essential minerals such as magnesium, calcium and iron (yes iron isn’t just in meat & calcium not just in dairy!)
- Has essential omega fatty acids that nourish our bodies and cardiovascular system
- Contains the compound theobromine that increases energy and has been to shown to also help lower blood pressure
- Contains anandamide known as “the bliss chemical” as it occurs when we feel great & phenyl ethylamine, which simply put stimulates feelings of been in love, which is why women in particular love chocolate during that time of the month 😉
- Has small amounts of the amino acid tryptophan that is turned into serotonin in our brains aka the happy hormone further contributing to that happy euphoric chocolate filled feeling!
Some pretty amazing stuff right, now you see why chocolate that only contains very small amount of raw cacao is so addictive! But as a self confessed chocoholic my favorite benefit is that it’s the perfect alternative to regular sugar filled chocolate and its so easy to include in your daily diet! Here are some simple ways to enjoy raw cacao powder:
Hot or Cold Chocolate Drink
Choice of non dairy milk and if hot boiling water
1-2 tsp raw cacao powder
½ tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp raw honey
Combine everything together in you cup and enjoy hot or cold! I love it with coconut or almond milk.
Chocolate Porridge or Chocolate Chia Pudding
Prepare you regular porridge or pudding and simple add 2tsp of raw cacao with a sweetener of your choice! I also like to combine it with cinnamon to balance out the flavour and mixing it with berries not only tastes great but helps you body absorb all the benefit mentioned.
1-2 frozen bananas
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1-2 tsp raw honey
Almond milk/water until desired consistency is reached
Honestly tastes just like a thickshake, this is my go to when craving something creamy & chocolatey!
Jar of natural nut butter such as hazelnut, almond or cashew
Mix in 1 – 2 tbsp of raw cacao depending on how strong you like it
Add in 2 tbsp of raw honey or organic maple syrup or coconut sugar
Combine well, taste test and add more of anything!
Use as spread or to dip fruit in for a little more decadence 😉
Hope you start including more of this amazing super food in your diet, you will definitely notice the benefits and start to crave regular sugary chocolate less and less!!